Sunday 21 August 2011

First Impressions

After a long flight and a 2 hour wait for a visa I got to see Nairobi by night as I was taken to a hotel, unfortunately not a lot to see but it was clear the roads are in need of a resurface!!
I had been warned that Nairobi can be cold at night so I had come prepared, however nothing could really prepare me for how cold it actually was, I was thinking Africa and it was more like the Antartic. I was starting to think I’d picked the wrong continent for my sunny adventure!! Anyhow in the morning I headed back to the airport in my thermals with my driver ‘Steve’. Baring in mind it was only 7am hundreds of people lined the streets all walking/running in the same direction, my driver explained that they were all people from the local slums in kibera who would walk approximately 20km to find work - many making the 20km journey back home again empty handed and hungry!! my first culture shock!
I arrived at the airport in plenty of time, again to be met with more queues, I was quickly realising Africa requires the patience I don’t yet have!
I arrived in Mombasa safely but late something I think I will have to get used too! I was welcomed by my 2 new head teachers’ in their shorts and shades to be informed its actually pretty much winter in Mombasa!! “yesss!!!! This is more like it”. On the way to my flat I was taken on a bit of a tour of Mombasa none of which I can remember but I do know that there is no such thing as road rage in Kenya everything is fair game so people just go with whatever which does mean people just pulling out in front of you or overtaking in any position!! Think I might hold off driving for a while.
I’ve seen my school which looks lovely - very cute, small school with thatched roofs and a lovely swimming pool, and on my way to my flat I saw my first monkey again very cute but from a distance apparently - they are literally ‘cheeky little monkeys’ and thieve and bite!! So no pet monkey like Ross from Friends for me then L
My flat is much bigger than I thought 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and living room but the amazement wore off slightly when I took a shower under a dribble of cold water!!!! Excellent!!!
Within the first 5 hours of being here I had internet, a new sim card, I’d eaten in a lovely Italian restaurant, been to the supermarket, seen the beach and also seen 5 monkeys, a camel and about 60 goats!! Just a normal day then!!!
My first night was definitely the most traumatic thing so far, I had been busy all day and buzzing about everything, I unpacked sat down to chill and realised how much time TV kills after about 25 games of spider solitaire and 50 games of mahjong I decided an early night was in order!! Well an early night I did not get, to start with I had to learn to sleep with the fan on to stop mosquitos settling but it makes so much noise it makes you think your hearing things, I then had monkeys fighting outside and screeching but worst of all I’m a prisoner in my own bed under a big mosquito net, and still petrified to death!! I went a bit OTT with the fly spray which choked me, little things managed to by-pass the mosquito net and crawl into bed with me and I kid you not the biggest beetle-cockroache thing with wings somehow managed to get in my room I have no idea how there was no way I was sleeping with that in my room mosquito net or no mosquito net!! In the first hour in my bed I must of got up to kill creatures about 14 times after a few tears I managed to convince myself to go to sleep – I actually slept like a baby and when I woke up there were no creatures in my bed and my room looked pretty clear- they were obviously just toying with me the little blighters!!! Although when I pulled back the mosquito net and saw all the dead animals on my floor I realised I’d obviously just choked them all on insect spray!!! Excellent!!
Then out for lunch to another Italian restaurant today with a whole heap of people from school which filled the day nicely and everyone seems lovely, just these long night times to fill – I will have to find a hobby. Got my first meeting in school tomorrow so hopefully will know a little more.
Right I’m signing off for now I’m sure I have bored you enough already final thought 5 biggest changes/culture shocks:
1 – Bedtime bug fest!!!!
2 – seeing monkeys, goats and chickens roaming the streets
3 - brushing my teeth without using a tap as you can only use bottled water
4 – The fact im wearing a vest top and shorts in winter!!
5 – Night time boredom! L

Xxxxxxx Steph xxxxxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. Your braver than me little cuz I would have screamed!! Sounds like your gonna really enjoy it!! Just need to pass the night times a bit, DVDs books games? I've been to beamish today and they had sod all to do on a night! Hence why there were so many kids! Lol anyway so glad to hear ur safe and settling in, keep up this diary it will be good for u to look bAxk on and we get to know what ur up to!! Miss u spk soon Emma xxxxx

    ReplyDelete